Thursday, July 8, 2010

Puffed Kamut Squares

When I was a kid, I remember my mom always making puffed wheat squares. They were such a great treat! I am not sure what it is that reminded me of these this week, but something made me remember this oh-so delicious childhood treat of mine, and I couldn’t shake the craving. So, I looked up a recipe for it, and was shocked at what they are made out of! Corn syrup, sugar, fat and some recipes also call for extra candy and marshmallows added. I couldn’t bring myself to make them the traditional way, and had almost decided to not make them at all…except the craving wouldn’t go away!
So, I made up my own recipe made with whole grain Kamut puffs, which I just bought at the regular grocery store down the Natural/Organic aisle, used my trusty agave syrup, added some high quailty cocoa powder and voila! I satisfied my craving without the guilt!

½ cup agave syrup
¼ cup butter
3 tbsp cocoa powder
8 cups Kamut puffs (I used Nature’s Path)

Place Kamut puffs in a large bowl.
In a pot on medium heat, add agave, butter and cocoa until butter is melted.
Pour agave mixture onto puffs, mix until all puffs are evenly coated.
Press into a pyrex dish, and let cool in the fridge before cutting.