Thursday, July 22, 2010

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

I made these cookies one afternoon when I had a craving for chocolate.What can I say? It was raining, I was reading a book, my daughter was napping – it just felt like a cookie baking sort of afternoon.

You can really taste the molasses in these cookies, so if you don’t like that flavour, I would add maple syrup in its place. I also only cooked them for 8 minutes because I like a chewier cookie. If you like a more crispy cookie, leave them in the oven for an extra couple of minutes.

Also, if you want to make these vegan, use carob chips rather than chocolate chips, and almond milk or rice milk in place of the dairy milk.


Wet Ingredients
¼ cup oil or butter
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla

Dry Ingredients
2/3 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup organic sugar cane
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt

1/3 cup dark chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry. Gently fold in chocolate chips.

Form into 12 equal balls, and flatten with a fork on a sheet pan lined with parchement paper.

Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool before eating (I know, sometimes this is the hardest part).