Monday, May 24, 2010

Orange Pineapple Muffins

Muffins are my go-to snack. I always have them on hand, and am always trying to find new recipes. Mid-morning, I often have one to tide me over until lunch, although more often than not, my daugher ends up eating most of it, and I get the left-over crumbs...

I came across these ones on a website by The Joy of Cooking, but I changed them so that they are healthier. My husband and I enjoyed them this morning, with a cup of coffee – is there really anything better? It was the perfect start to our day.

Makes about 16 muffins

2 cups spelt flour
¼ tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda
2/3 cup organic sugar cane
½ cup butter, softened
2 egg whites
¾ cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp orange zest
1 14oz can crushed pineapple, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.

In a large bowl, mix together sugar cane and butter. Add egg whites, and continue to mix. Add yogurt, juice orange zest and pineapple.

Add flour mixture to wet ingredients.

Evenly distribute muffins into muffin cups – makes about 15 in total. Cook for 20 minutes.

For some of the muffins, I added sliced almonds on top before baking them in the oven. I really liked them with the almonds, but they can easily be left off.