Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chickpea and Sweet Potato curry

I am constantly being reminded that there is only a short time left on my maternity leave. Although I am excited to go back to teaching, I am nervous about how I am going to have enough time to prepare meals, while trying to squeeze in every spare second that I can with my daughter. My solution? I have gotten a new slow cooker (with a timer!) and have dedicated myself to finding some recipes that I can easily put together in the morning before I head to work.

It was a cold/windy/snowy day today, and what’s better on a day like that? For us, a warm curry hits the spot. I just threw a bunch of ingredients in the cooker, and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I even gave this to my 9.5 month old daughter for dinner.

1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 19oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 onion, diced
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 ½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen green beans
Salt to taste
Freshly chopped cilantro for topping

Throw all ingredients but peas and green beans in the slow cooker. Cook for 6 hours on low. Add peas and green beans, cook for another half an hour. Top with cilantro when serving.

I made toasted pitas to go with this. Cut the pita in triangles, drizzle with olive oil and salt, and broil for a few minutes until golden brown.

I also made a salad to go with this. Totally hit the spot with the crazy weather we have been having lately.