Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pizza Muffins

I am always looking for quick snacks for my daughter, and this is such a great solution. They are packed with veggies, full of whole grains, and very filling. I made them into mini-muffins, so I put them in the oven for a couple minutes less than the 20 minutes that are recommended. Just keep an eye on them because I find mini-muffins burn fast.
My daugter's response when I gave her one, was "more"! And when I gave her another one - "more"! Needless to say, they were a hit in this house.

3 cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
1 1/3 cup skim milk
5 tbsp olive oil
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 10oz package frozen spinach, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, finely chopped
3 basil leaves, finely chopped
¾ cup your favourite marinara sauce
½ cup mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Add to the flour mixture. Mix in spinach, red peppers and basil. Pour evenly into a 12-cup muffin tin. Top each muffin with a spoonful of marinara and mozzarella cheese (before baking the muffins).
Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.