Friday, August 19, 2011

Crunchy Granola

In our household, granola is a must! We eat it for breakfast with milk, on top of yogurt, as a snack by itself – you name it. So I thought I would experiment with some ingredients that I had in the pantry, and I think I’ve found a great combination that is really tasty, and super crunchy – which I love.
This recipe makes about 4 cups. But next time, I would double it because it will be gone before you know it.

Dry ingredients
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup uncooked buckwheat (can be found near the dried beans in the grocery store)
1/3 cup each sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds

Wet ingredients
5 tbsp each agave syrup and maple syrup (can substitute honey if you want)
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup oil
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt

1 cup coconut - added at the end of cooking

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
Place onto a lined cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Once it has cooled, add the coconut, and store in a large container.