Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Energy Bars

My husband had a conference in Banff recently, and I was able to tag along for a couple of days. What I like about Banff, is that you can always find something healthy to eat (although it also has its fair share of “treats”, which I do always make sure to indulge in as well). Wanting a snack, I bought an energy bar from a café that caught my eye. It was filled with seeds and coconut and was surprisingly filling. As I was eating it though, I couldn’t help but think how easy it would be to make these at home, and for a fraction of the price nonetheless. So, I experimented with some ingredients I had at home, and they turned out very similar to the one from the café.

What I also like about these, is that they literally take 5 minutes to make. There is no baking needed, they just need to be put in the fridge. The dry ingredients (oats, seeds and coconut) can be replaced with other ingredients as well like dried fruit, just keep the proportions of wet ingredients to dry ingredients the same.

¾ cup all natural peanut butter
½ cup agave syrup (use honey if you can’t find this)
1 cup oats
¼ cup cocoa
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raw sesame seeds
½ cup unsweetened coconut
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds

In a large bowl, stir together peanut butter, agave syrup and cocoa. Add oats, seeds and coconut. Stir until evenly coated. Press into a 9 x 13 pan, lined with wax paper. Refridgerate for a few hours before cutting and serving.

Note: These are chewy, not hard.