Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vegetable Panini

I LOVE panini's, so I started making them at home, and they are super easy!

This is enough to make one panini.

2 whole wheat panini crusts. I buy the ones from Coscto. They come in a pack of 12 (I think) but keep well in the freezer.
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in oil. I rinse off the oil before putting them into the panini
3 canned artichokes, cut into quarters (can be found next to the olives, roasted bell peppers etc. in the grocery store)
Half a portabella mushroom, sliced
Large handful of fresh spinach
2 tbsp chopped red onion
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced (jarred is the easiest)
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated or sliced, whichever you prefer. I have also used Havarti, and it is VERY good.
1/4 cup hummus - I do have a recipe under snacks if you need a recipe. This is optional, and can easily be skipped if you don't like hummus.

Let your panini press heat up, and spray with an all natural oil spray, or drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the grill.

Place one of the panini crusts on the grill. Spread half of the hummus, and half of the cheese on the crust. Add all vegetables. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.

On the other crust, spread remaining hummus. Add to the top of the panini already on the grill.

Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the crusts are golden brown.